Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Favorite Things About Technology: Part 1



I am starting another blog series, this one will be about my favorite things about technology, both in my professional and personal lives. I came up with this as an idea fie a single blog, but realized it would be way more than what could fit in one blog.  So I will start out today with my most favorite thing.  

 So I would have to say that my very favorite thing about technology is the ability to stay in touch with loved ones in so many different ways.  this is especially important for me, since my son is a sophomore at the University of Florida.  As busy as I am in my property management business, I feel like I can always make time for him, because it is so convenient to do so. 

We did Face Time for the first time the other night. It was really fun. It was great being able to see his face and his dorm room in the back ground, it was kind of like I was there with him. I even tried to get the dogs to notice him on my iPad, LOL, but they didn't.  He got to see them though so that made him happy. 

 Thanks to technology, even when I am driving I can easily reach him, without having to be distracted by dialing or looking at my phone. I can just pull a lever on my steering wheel and use voice commands to call or text him.  I can even have his text messages read to me.  

Texting is another great way to stay in touch. I don't want to call all the time, I want him to feel like he is fully experiencing the whole being away from home thing, but I need to still be connected.  Last year, his first time ever being away from home for more than a week or two trip to Grandma's (once or twice), was really hard for me. I couldn't stand not knowing if he was safe, so every night we texted goodnight. It was reassuring for me and not too invasive for him.  This year though he asked me if we could stop doing it. It was OK with me.  The first year was the really hard one. 

Thanks to the technology that created hybrids, going up to Gainesville to pick him up, drive him back or just to visit, isn't such a hard hit on the wallet. It makes it almost painless to head up there as often as I do.  In September, I traded in my Cadillac CTS, that was not very budget friendly on the gas and got a Ford C-Max Hybrid.  So I have been making a lot more trips this year than last.  

So thanks to technology, I don't feel so lost while the center of my universe is off creating his own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment