Thursday, February 13, 2014

Brevard County Florida's Weather

I have been sick for the last several days and barely left the house.  I don't do well with being cooped up.  This evening I am starting to get a little stir crazy.  I didn't feel well enough to make dinner or go out to eat. Thankfully my husband went out to get sandwiches and just got back before we got hit with a thunderstorm.  I like being home and nice and cozy when it rains and storms.  I have a bunch of showings stacked up for tomorrow, around this time, since I haven't felt up to showings yet this week.  I am grateful to be home tonight though and and to not have to be anywhere.  I am also grateful that I live in Brevard County Florida. 
The warnings started coming across the TV late this afternoon and it's been a while since I have seen one.   I started to watch World News this evening and was reminded that  although we have not had many weather issues lately, the rest of the country sure has. Especially the east coast.  The news mentioned that Atlanta is getting hit hard again, although better prepared this time.  The meteorologist was standing with the New York City Skyline and mentioned that in eight hours, the visibility will be so bad, you would not be able to see it.  I grew up on Long Island and still have friends and family there to feel sympathy for.  I was so happy to get away from the winters up north.  
Here in Brevard we have afternoon thunderstorms certain times of the year and have a history of being hit hard by hurricanes, (2004 three in a row).  We have only actually had five hurricanes directly affect us since 1950. 
Overall we are pretty lucky with our weather.  Wikipedia describes our climate as a humid subtropical climate with hot, humid summers.  We have distinct wet and dry seasons. The dry typically lasts from December through May, the wet from June through November.  Our temperature varies noticeably in this 72-mile-long county, that runs north-to-south, especially in the winter. 
January is our coldest month, with an average low of 50.7  degrees and an average high 71 .  The hottest months are July and August with average highs of 90 degrees and average lows of 72.2.   The driest month is April with  an average 1.6 inches (4 of rainfall; the wettest is September, with 6.6 inches.  
Here's an interesting comparison from the weather channel app about an hour ago, for Satellite Beach(where I live in Brevard County), Atlanta, GA and Richmond, VA.
 



So where would you rather be tonight? 

No comments:

Post a Comment