Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Experience With Growing an Organic Container Garden: Part One

My Experience With Growing an Organic Container Garden: Part One

Wolters RealtyI decided I wanted to start growing some of my own vegetables and herbs, organically. I have run into some interesting things in the process so far. I thought this was a good topic for renters, who may want to have a garden but need to set up more temporary one, without doing any damage to the property.  Or someone in an apartment or a condo without much room. Or someone like me, that doesn't do well with the bugs and heat and wanted to make an attempt at growing some organic vegetables and herbs. I thought I would write  series of about the experiences I have had and the things that I have learned and will learn, throughout this process.
So the first thing I did was some research and decided that zucchini would be easy, maybe some tomatoes, maybe some cucumbers.  I went to Lowe's and picked up some organic seeds, forgot the cucumbers and ended up getting bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes, chives, rosemary, and basil.  I bought organic biodegradable planters and had a bunch of toilet paper holders, got fish emulsifier fertilizer to use if fertilizer was needed, I really wanted to do this organically. 
We have a Florida room in our house, so I figured I could start the seeds inside and possibly keep them inside avoiding the necessity for pest control. I bought some indoor lights, brought in some heaters for cooler nights and was really excited to get started.  
I researched how to plant each one and ended up having to soak some, I had never heard or that. I guess I didn’t do enough research beforehand, because everything I read about starting rosemary from seeds(after I bought them), was that it was really difficult. You are better off starting with a cutting or seedlings.  I was shocked at how fast the zucchini sprouted, and was happy with the tomatoes and chives. The rosemary sprouted a few, but ended up with white  stuff (mold?) on the soil. I looked it up and saw that it was probably from not enough circulation and/or too much water.  I tried to save them, but the white wouldn’t go away. I worried that it may spread so I threw them away.  I think he toilet paper rolls were a bad idea.  I saw it on Pinterest and thought it sounded good, but I think I  should have either not used them or filled them to the top with dirt, because they were too narrow to allow enough circulation.  
It was was only week one, and the the rest of the plants were doing fine. 
Wolters RealtyWolters Realty

No comments:

Post a Comment